Also available at:
Last updated 2011.10.25
Items of Historical Interest in the Development and Commercialization of EVs
Aktiengesellschaft fur Akkumulatoren und Automobilbau. - Driesen, Brandebourg, Germany, 1919- (1921-1925)
Advanced Technology Transit Bus
A prototype transit bus produced by Grumman-Northrop in 1997 and nicknamed the 'Stealth Bus', this electric / compressed natural gas hybrid vehicle seats 43. The bus weighs some 6,000 pounds less than comparable diesel-powered transit buses due to the use of light-weight materials. The actual drive train is all electric, with the CNG used to generate electricity to keep the batteries charged.
Operating in France in 1926 and 1927, A.E.M. (Applications Electro-Mecaniques), 148 Ave. du Roule, Neuilly s/Seine, produced a front-wheel drive electric town-car and a light van, both using the same chassis. They also introduced the Électrocyclette in 1927, an electric cyclecar (3-wheeler - 2 wheels in front, one in the rear). It appears few of the cyclecars were produced.
Wartime emergency Corre, q.v.,France
Ajax Motor Vehicle Co.
Manufacturer of electric runabouts in New York City, approximately 1901 - 1903.
Alexandra - see Phoenix Carriage Company
Altha Auto and Power Co., Dover, Delaware, USA
Based in Dallas TX in the late 1970's, this firm produced the Exar-1 prototype, a car reportedly capable of 117 km on a charge and a maximum speed of 113 km/h using 24 lead-acid batteries. Despite having a body made primarily of Kevlar and sleek lines, writers at the time were skeptical of the range claims for the vehicle. Probably only one prototype was produced, primarily for promotional purposes.
This item appeared in the Minneapolis-St.Paul Star-Tribune on
November 3, 1999 (page METRO 03B):
Note, it only took about 20 years from the time of the infraction until the sentence was reached.
Received from Edmond X. Ramirez Sr. (of Amectran),
Received from William Dutton (of Amectran), 2006.09.06:
I don't have time to research the matter further at this point. Webmaster.
Based in Chicago, IL from 1896 to 1902, and in Hoboken, NJ in
the latter part of 1902, this company built a small number of
electric cars and commercial vehicles.
American Motor Car Co.
Also built a car named the American Electric in Cleveland Ohio 1902-1910, different from the American Electric built by the American Electric Vehicle Co. of Chicago 1899-1902.
AMC - see American Motors Corporation
AMC flirted with electric vehicles, mostly in the 1970's. They produced a concept car and mini-van based on electric-drive, co-operated with Electric Fuel Propulsion to convert a Hornet to electric drive (Electrosport), and co-operated with Gould to convert Jeeps to electric drive (DJ5E), primarily for use by the U.S. Post Office. The Amitron was built by AMC in co-operation with Gulton Industries in 1968. Electric Vehicle Associates of Cleveland OH converted AMC Pacers to electric power (known as the Change-of-Pace). AMC was absorbed by Chrysler Corporation in the 1980's, after AMC had absorbed the remains of Renault's North American operations. Chrysler was subsequently merged into the Daimler car company in the late 1990's.
The Amitron used lithium-nickel-flouride batteries, boasted a top speed of 50 mph and a range of 150 miles, however, the vehicle never advanced beyond the prototype stage. The Amitron emphasized reducing weight to improve performance and range, including the use of air cushions instead of foam rubber in the passenger seats.
Also called the Electruc, 352 of these vehicles were produced
in 1974. The vehicles had a rated payload of 500 pounds, with a
top speed of 53 km/hr and a maximum range or 48 km.
Amitron - see American Motors Corporation
1'Avant-train Amiot et Peneau. -1, Ave. Pinel, Asnieres (Seine). France,1898-(1901-1905)
Anderson - see Detroit
Colorado Springs, Colo, USA, 1897
A prototype electric produced by Ford Motor Company in the 1960's or 1970's, weighing in at 1,200 pounds and boasting some reasonable aerodynamics for the period.
The Argo Electric Vehicle Company operated in Saginaw MI from
1912 to 1916. The Argo Brougham was a 4 passenger car, weighing
3200 lbs, claimed a range of 75 miles per charge using thirty 190
ah, MV Exide batteries. It had 6 forward and 6 reverse speeds and
36 x 4 cushion tires and used an 18 inch steering wheel on the
left. The 110 inch wheelbase was the longest of any electric at
the time. The vehicle had a 60 volt system with Westinghouse
motors, these cars were capable of 20 mph. 4 and 5 wheeled models
were made in open and closed versions, all models used wheel
steering. In 1914, Argo joined with the Broc
and Borland electric vehicle companies. In
1916 the Columbia Motors Company purchased the assets of Argo.
The Arola was made in France in the late 1970's. The electric
version was a conversion of a gasoline model. Boasting a 0.44 DC
hp motor and four 12-volt lead-acid batteries, the two seater, two
door, three-wheeler production prototype was 68 inches long, 42
inches wide and 62 inches high. It's maximum speed was 19 mph, and
was advertised as having a range of 40 miles at a cruising speed
of 16 mph. List price was US$3000, though it is unlikely many, if
any, were sold.
Aronson, Robert - see Electric Fuel Propulsion
Arrol-Aster- the Mo-Car Syndicate, Ld., Underwood,
Akkumulatorenfbk.,A.G. - Bredovska, Prague II, CS. Somewhere between 1921-1925
Originally established in 1912 in Newark, NJ, the Atlantic Vehicle Company, this firm was established to build gasoline-electric cars and trucks, but it seems only electric trucks were actually produced. After a reorganization in 1915, the company was known as the Atlantic Electric Vehicle Co. and continued producing commercial electric delivery trucks for a few more years.
This was a small electric motorcycle produced in the U.S. There
is one of these in the collection of the Canadian National Museum
of Science and Technology. One is owned by the author. One was
reported in private hands in Toronto ON in 1979. Others have been
reported in operation in B.C. and California as of 1998, with
another being restored in England.
Auto Red Bug - see Red Bug
The Autodynamic Co.- West 19th Street, New York City, USA, 1901
Ste.Anon. Auto-Mixte.- rue Hayeneux,Herstal-lez-Liege.Somewhere between 1911-1915
The Autoette was produced by the Autoette Electric Car Co.of Long Beach CA, apparently in the 1950's and possibly into the early 1960's. It was a small electric car, probably a 2-seater designed for running short errands. The vehicles were apparently inexpensive and popular for their intended use.
The following information was provided by an Autoette
From another Autoette owner, this information (and images):
There is now an Autoette discussion group on Yahoo Groups.
Built by the Automatic Electric Transmission Co. of Buffalo NY. The 1921 Automatic Electric was a small 2-seater with top speed of 18 mph and a range of 60 miles per charge. It had a 65 inch wheelbase, and weighed 900 lbs. It sold for $1200. In 1927 the company was bought by the Walker Electric Company.
The Averly was a light electric car built in France (Lyons?), possibly from 1899 to 1903. Only small numbers were produced.
An electric truck with a GVW of 3,300 kg built in Spain in either the late 1970's or early 1980's. At least 10 were produced.
This website is powered by renewable energy.